We love the Bafang mid-drive conversion kit, it turns your bicycle into an electric powered mean-machine.
We've fitted a lot of these kits and are impressed with the build quality, simplicity and performance of the system.
They're designed to fit most bicycles but we would first evaluate your bicycle as to its suitability for a conversion. At the same time we would asses any work that needs to be done on your bicycle to make a safe, dependable e-bike.
- The battery isn't hidden away inside your frame. The cables and connections are all on display. The motor looks like it's been bolted on to the bottom of a normal bike... That's a good thing!
- We've seen lots of 'smart looking' e-bikes with broken components. Getting access to the components to troubleshoot problems can be very time consuming. If you need to replace a component you're relying on the original manufacturer to continue to support your bicycle, many don't. Even if you can find spare parts, they will be expensive. We've seen £3,000 e-bikes rendered useless within two years because the frame was built for a specific motor and you can no longer get replacement motors that fit.
- Our conversions are built around 'normal' bicycles. All components are easy to get to and easily fixed or replaced when needed. Worst case scenario, you can remove all the kit and you’re still left with a 'normal' bicycle.
Benefits of a mid-drive motor
- The weight of the motor is as low and central on the bicycle as it can be, which makes for better handling.
- As the motor powers the drive-train directly, gears on the bicycle work with the motor, giving you more power control.
- If you've got a good pair of wheels on your bicycle, keep them. Why replace a good wheel with a poorly made e-bike wheel?
- A hub based motor adds a lot of 'rotational mass' to the wheel, rotational mass means more energy is needed to get the wheel spinning up to speed. Mid-drive motor, less rotational mass, faster acceleration.
Converted Marin, steel frame, 26" wheels. Perfect.
Why we like the Bafang mid-drive in particular
- Bafang have been making these motors for many years and the design has changed little in that time, a tried and tested motor system.
- As this kit has been around for a long time, there's lots of after-market support. Easy to find spares and replacement parts.
- The motor is 100% serviceable, it can be stripped down and any internal part replaced as necessary.
- The motor controller is easily programmed via USB and your computer, if you wish to alter any parameters to fine tune the motor.
- The kit is built with the DIY enthusiast in mind, there's a wealth of information online and troubleshooting and repairs are easy.
What's included in the kit
- 250W 36V Bafang mid-drive brushless motor (internal controller).
- LCD display C965 & operation button.
- Thumb throttle.
- 46 tooth chain wheel & chain cover.
- 2x brake levers.
- Gear shift sensor.
- Left and right crank arms.
- Speed sensor & magnet.
- All necessary fittings.
The kit comes with everything you need to complete the conversion apart from the battery. Depending on the design of the donor bike we use high performance frame or rear rack mounted batteries.
Once you've got a motor, you'll want to carry stuff.
Costs and process
If you're interested in converting your bicycle to electric, then the first step is bring the bicycle down to us so we can check it over fully and advise you to its suitability for an e-bike conversion.
We have a demo bicycle in the shop that you can take out for a ride and see how the kit works.
Most conversion come in around £800, which roughly breaks down as:
- £360 - 250W 36V Bafang kit.
- £250 to £350 - 36V lithium-ion battery pack and charger, cost depends on pack size and configuration.
- £150 - Installation fee.
As with any job we take on, we will discuss your requirements and provide a full and detailed quote before going ahead with any work. If you're interested in converting your bicycle, please get in touch.
If you don't have a donor bike for conversion, there's every chance we might have something suitable.